The Board of Trustees values public participation and recognizes the importance of public input on issues affecting Sumter School District. Public participation will take place during each regular Board meeting.
Please note, before submitting comments for public participation, questions should be directed to appropriate district personnel and/or departments (teacher, principal, chief of schools, superintendent). If the concern has not been resolved after communication through these channels, please submit comments for public participation.
Process for the Public to Submit Comments
- Members of the public may sign up to speak when they arrive a regular Board meeting. The card must be filled out prior to the beginning of the 6 PM meeting.
- Or, members of the public may submit their comments electronically by clicking the “Submit Public Comments” button at the bottom and top of this webpage.
- The electronic submission must contain the name of the person submitting the comments and the address and phone number of that individual giving the District the ability to verify the sender if needed.
- The comments must be received by the District no later than Wednesday at noon before each regular Board meeting.
- The Board will allocate 15 minutes at the outset of each regular meeting for a district staff member to read public comments.
- Public participation will not exceed three minutes (3,300 characters) for each individual unless waived by a majority vote of the Board.
- The chairwoman reserves the right to limit discussion of same topic issues in an effort to provide individuals the opportunity to be heard on a variety of topics. The Board will receive all public participation comments.
- Speakers may offer objective comments on school operations and programs that concern them. The Board will not permit in public session any expression of personal complaints about individual school personnel or any other person connected with the school system. Comments from the public should not include gossip, defamatory words, or abusive or vulgar language.
- Questions will not be answered during the virtual Board meeting. The Board Chairwoman will send a response in writing within 14 days.